Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Why is this OK? Because it's not.

 NOTE: This appeared on my Facebook page today. I really think I shouldn't use social media at all, as it seems to take me to a place I don't want to go. No one reads it anyway, do they? But today some shit went down that I really needed to write about, for myself if for no one else. 

I don’t usually post rants on social media, but something happened today that I have to report on. We love to walk around Como Lake in Coquitlam, an urban park full of wildlife and old guys fishing and young kids prancing around and people just generally strolling along in the peace and quiet. But when we arrived for our usual peaceful stroll, I heard this godawful noise – a loud, harsh, sustained buzz, even more irritating than those awful drone sounds – and then I saw this streak of “something” speeding over the water, so fast I could barely take it in.

I had never seen a model/remote control boat move that fast, rocketing from one side of the lake to the other and making a sound so loud you could not tune it out. Four guys were sitting on the shore on lawn chairs taking turns operating this thing, chuckling and guffawing away like 8-year-olds doing something naughty – but it got worse. The guy taking his turn at the controls ran the model boat right up behind a Canada goose which was sitting peacefully in the water, perhaps even asleep. It startled and took off a nanosecond before the evil thing hit it.


 I strode up to the giggling group of grown men and said, “I’m going to report you for this. You’re harassing the wildlife in a public park, and that is NOT allowed.” The guy looked a tiny bit sheepish and said, “OK, I won’t do it again.” (I think he had been doing it for some time.) But I had more to say. “The geese are nesting right now. They’re vulnerable. This is a safe place for them, a sanctuary. This (and I began to cry) HURTS me to see.” The sheepish guy sort of mumbled a half-assed apology, then went right back to assaulting the lake and all the rest of us with  the noise and the hurtling speed.

Every once in a while the thing wiped out, spun around in the water and then reversed direction. It was going at such high speed it was literally flying above the surface of the water, so what would happen if it really flew out of control and hit someone? The geese weren’t the only ones in danger – there was a group of old men trying to fish and have a nice social gathering, and the atmosphere was completely ruined. 


Bill was so upset he stalked off, but I ran into another trailwalker who told me they had  actually covered up the prominent sign saying, “WARNING: No motorized craft or remote control models allowed” with a COAT. No kidding, so they think if the sign is covered up it’s okay? The trailwalker and I commiserated for a while, then I noticed the racket had suddenly stopped, and a few minutes later the four idiots had vacated, but left the coat (a child’s coat, which they had probably found lying on the trail) hanging over the sign. I took it down and tacked it up on a neutral area, thinking maybe someone would come back for it.

But I was astonished at the – what? Why is it OK for a model craft hurtling along at incredible speed to take a run at a living creature? Isn’t this lovely urban park something of a sanctuary for the birds? This particular lake attracts whole colonies of Canada geese, and soon we’ll be seeing plump fuzzy goslings floating around in the lake. I have no doubt these guys would love to take out a gosling or two, or maybe even the whole brood. If I ever see those bozos again I will report them, or maybe I should report them right now.

 I don’t want to be a complainer, and there’s too much ranting going on in the world right now, but this was atrocious behaviour in so-called grown men. I suppose the rest of the time they’re out in the woods bringing down elk and deer with rifles, drinking beer and guffawing at the sight of a magnificent animal sinking to its knees, shot dead.


1 comment:

  1. This should never have happened, and I hope it never happens again. It was bad enough for the people trying to have a peaceful walk. But the other wildlife (ducks, geese, gulls) had been driven away, and only one goose was left. If I hadn't stopped them, they would have kept trying until they hit it. God knows how long they had been at this, until they drove the wildlife away because they knew they were not safe.

    ReplyDelete

Comments