Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beniamino Gigli - E lucevan le stelle 1938

Okay then. So, singers. We've been talking about, thinking about singers, some unusual singers from the past, and some strangely beautiful contemporary singers who seem to grasp and pull the distant past back into the present moment. But this is even more immediate. Gigli. I don't have Gigli recordings, though perhaps I should. When you hear him, you know where Domingo and Pav and the gang get all their tricks (and also from Mario Lanza, the most underrated tenor of all). But no one else could express the exposed, terrifying vulnerability of the human soul in quite this way. This is my favorite tenor aria, and he sings the hell out of it. The haunting stare from the portrait and the slightly broken translation only enhance the performance. Exceptionally beautiful voices make me cry: I once sobbed my way through an astonishing concert by Renee Fleming, Michael Maniaci's unexpectedly vibrant male soprano recently made me burst into tears, and this - oh, this - this Gigli! When I discovered and played it, I was reduced to rubble. The great singers are instruments that express human pain as nothing else can. Yes, joy - rapture - all these things too, but it's the pain we really need them to express, because we can't - can't even find a word for it, though if we try to escape it, we leave an arm or a leg behind.

2 comments:

  1. My dad raved about Lanza. I remember hearing his astounding voice in The Student Prince.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was simply great, with a brilliance few other tenors ever achieved. His life was cut tragically short and there was some sort of rumor he was killed while in the hospital for something-or-other. He drank heavily and overate till he nearly burst, but all tenors are like that, aren't they? On my OS blog I did a comparison of various famous tenors singing Vesti la Giubba (from Pagliacci, sung as he contemplates bashing the shit out of his romantic rival). Caruso was too dated, Pavarotti overblown, Domingo *almost* there but too full of self-pity. Lanza sang it on the video with more levels than anyone: contempt for the idiots he works with, for himself, for everyone (and especially this bloody uniform - aarggghhhh!); agony over losing his Columbina; rage and blood-lust as he plans an unspeakable act of vengeance; and also, a kind of arrogant, jabbing satire, a slapping-around of the situation and his own tortured feelings, making caustic fun of the whole damn thing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments