Sunday, January 19, 2014

Beyond car




1950 Buick




Beauty!




1951 Hudson Hornet




Ditto (likely copied from identical image above)




1940 Oldsmobile




1942  Oldsmobile




Really old car




1938 Packard




Mid- '30s Packard (guess)




Gaspingly beautiful car (probably Packard)




Beyond car.


Cars I just happen to like. In no particular order. I like turquoise cars with lots of chrome trim (whatever happened to chrome? People used to brag that their cars had "lots of chrome".) I picked vintage magazine ads because they reminded me of Mad Men, but I cropped out most of the cars so I could use them as Facebook covers. Plus the ads are pretty repetitive, with too much text. I do like the backgrounds on a lot of them, but many of them have a sort of Dick and Jane quality, wholesome, indicating a "family car". (A couple of them are "artistic" in a way that is frankly gorgeous.) Interesting that the two Hudson Hornet ads depict identical cars, reminding me of the Harold Lloyd caricature which was obviously copied from a photograph. Maybe even traced.

I guess you can see I favor late '30s to early '40s. Cars were bulbous tanks then, with a certain erotic quality. You could get up to a lot in the back seat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments