Saturday, July 2, 2011

God's apology



































Came across something today that struck me as exquisite, and it reminded me of a friend - someone no longer near, because he's crossed over into Mystery Land and now walks with his ancestors. We were friends for less than a year, but it was life-changing: both of us were in the trenches, and as the bullets flew and the bombs thundered overhead, we sat in Starbuck's and compared souls. I know he'd get this, and laugh in that half-delighted, half-wincing way of his, the way that saved my life. Peter! This is for you:

"Friends are God's way of apologizing to us for our families."

4 comments:

  1. True dat. But it reminds me of the Rabindranath Tagore quote: Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man. At least that's the way we feel when they first pop out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of another one, ascribed to Carl Sandberg: "A baby is God's way of insisting that the world continue." This so, so reminds me of the amazing, unbelievable story of Stella Lucia, who will always give me hope in the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not familiar. I just Googled her and found some stuff on nutrition. Same lady?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, that's the name of the baby girl my daughter's friend had, the one who had in vitro over and over again (after losing her little girl in the sledding accident). Maybe I didn't say her name.

    ReplyDelete

Comments