Monday, November 15, 2010

Babylon








By the waters of Babylon

by the waters of Babylon

we sat down and wept

and wept

for thee Zion

We sat down and wept we sat down and wept we sat down and wept. . .

A shadow of a miracle of a particle of a shone of a show of a shadow of a song

Reflected backwards from the silver backing of a mirrored dream

we sat down and wept and wept and wept for thee Zion


We sat down and wept



(and wept)



for: thee



*******************Zion*******************



2 comments:

  1. I really like this: A shadow of a miracle of a particle of a shone of a show of a shadow of a song

    Reflected backwards from the silver backing of a mirrored dream
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a story behind this. I ordered the first three seasons of Mad Men on DVD, and one episode, #6 of Season One, wouldn't play properly. All I could watch was the ending, in which Don Draper sits uncomfortably (in suit and tie) in a coffee house with his current girlfriend/beatchick. After watching people get up and read the wedding announcements from the paper, a group of musicians gets up and sings the We Sat Down and Wept song, which I had never heard before. I found the clip on YouTube, but it was restricted and I couldn't post it. Then I found this strange, otherworldly version with no label on it except that it WASN'T Peter Paul and Mary. It sounds like it's from some other time, place. Then I tracked down the psalm, then I wanted an image and found Gabor Mate, who has this weary lined Semitic face that looks more like a wood carving every year. It all seemed to come together, though it probably made no sense at all to anyone else.

    ReplyDelete

Comments