Sunday, October 24, 2010

Margaret, are you grieving?


To a young child

Margaret, are you grieving

Over Goldengrove unleaving?

Leaves, like the things of man, you

With your fresh thoughts care for, can you?

Ah! as the heart grows older

It will come to such sights colder

By & by, nor spare a sigh

Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie;

And yet you will weep & know why.

Now no matter, child, the name:

Sorrow's springs are the same.

Nor mouth had, no nor mind, expressed

What heart heard of, ghost guessed:

It is the blight man was born for,

It is Margaret you mourn for.

Gerard Manley Hopkins

2 comments:

  1. You look awfully sad in this photo. A writer's sensibility already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find, anywhere, a childhood photo of myself where I was smiling. It's hard, when your father has been sexually abusing you and you have to keep it quiet. But my mother was always telling me to smile.

    ReplyDelete

Comments